Muscovado Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting Posted on 22 Jun 19:38
- 2 tbs cocoa powder
- 350g (2 1/3 cups) plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 350g (1 1/2 cups) light muscovado sugar
- 250ml (1 cup) buttermilk
- 185ml (3/4 cup) vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 3 tsp red food colouring
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- Sprinkles, to decorate frosting
- 250g pkt cream cheese, at room temperature
- 100g butter, at room temperature
- 195g (1 1/4 cups) icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 180°C. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar.
Whisk the buttermilk, oil, eggs, food colouring and vinegar in a jug until combined. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture. Add the buttermilk mixture and stir until just combined.
Divide the mixture among 24 cupcake cases 50x45mm. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centres comes out clean. Transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the cream cheese frosting, use an electric beater to beat the cream cheese, butter, icing sugar and vanilla in a bowl until smooth.
Pipe the icing over the cupcakes and top with the sprinkles.